Recipes

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Star Fruit Salad & Cocktail

I had completely written off the exotic star fruit from my list of favorites. I always thought it was either too sour, sweet or something in between. But that was until I read Chinmayie Bhat's blog on the star fruit salad. It looked so delicious I just had to try it. 

Few days after I read Chinmayie's post, I saw a fruit vendor selling star fruits. I was immediately reminded of the salad and decided to buy some and try making it with my own twist.

Typically, star fruits are in season from July through September in India. Guess I was lucky to find them in the middle of October. 

This salad is pretty easy. I basically tossed in whatever fruits and veggies I had at hand. And the best part is that everyone at home loved it!


Ingredients:
2 star fruits sliced
1 avocado diced
A bunch of Indian black grapes
2 tomatoes sliced
Chopped coriander
Chilli powder to taste
Some white til/sesame seeds
Salt to taste

Dressing:
2 tbs olive oil
Juice of I lime
1 tbs honey

Method
Arrange the cut fruits on a platter. Combine the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk. Drizzle the dressing over the fruits. Sprinkle salt, chilli powder and sesame seeds.

Star fruit cocktail



I used the leftover star fruit slices in a cocktail. Was pretty good even if I say so myself !

Combine 30ml vodka, 30ml white wine, 60ml  orange juice, some sprite, lots of ice and  2-3 slices of star fruit. Tangy and refreshing!



No comments:

Post a Comment